- Trainees will understand basic procedure of quantitative data analysis and will be able to design analysis plans (blank/dummy tables).
- Trainees will be able to edit and process small and large scale databases using STATA Software.
- Trainees will be able to analyze descriptive statistics (single and bivariate) and basic linear regression analysis using STATA.
- Trainees will learn to present and analyse basic statistics analysis and regression outcomes.
- Researchers from Universities, Institutes, Centres and other research organizations.
- Individuals who wish to improve data analysis skills to apply in their jobs and studies (including students at various levels).
Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey (VHLSS). This is the statistics database conducted by GSO every 2 years to collect detailed demographic and socio-economic information on Vietnamese individuals and households. VHLSS is widely used in economics, health, education and other sectoral research in Vietnam.
- Basic econometrics or statistics knowledge (Tertiary level).
- Lecture attendance, practice and exercises completion.
Content of the course
The course will last for 5 days with the content as follows:
Day 1 – Quantitative data analysis overview
- Part 1 – Overview of analysis process in social-economic research and Process and stages in data analysis
- Part 2 – Variable selection and generation of blank/dummy tables (based on analysis topics, research questions and hypotheses) and Introduction of VHLSS
Day 2 – Preparing data for analysis
- Part 1 – Introduction to STATA Software: Interface, Concepts of variables and observation, command structures and Preparing data for analysis: Input, open and store database
- Part 2 – Data editting
Day 3 – Single and bi-variable analysis
- Part 1 – Descriptive analysis of single variable
- Part 2 – Bivariate descriptive analysis and Bivariate correlation analysis
Day 4 – Application of regression analysis
- Part 1 – Regression analysis basic concept and Steps to construct regression models
- Part 2 – Estimation of regression model using STATA
Day 5 – Analysis outcome reading, table presentation and outcome interpretation
- Part 1 – Basic control in regression
- Part 2 – Presentation and outcome interpretation