Mekong Development Research Institute (MDRI) is an established research institute in Vietnam, ranked No.1 among economic institutions in Vietnam by IDEAS: Economics and Finance Research. The Institute has conducted a number of large development economic projects for international aid agencies and government departments. We aspire to help bring successful policy reforms as well as challenges overcoming lessons in opening Vietnam economy to countries with similar socio-economic conditions.
We are currently seeking potential candidates for a full-time Senior Researcher to join our team of dynamic and committed researchers and consultants.
Competitive and based on candidate’s level of expertise.
An intellectually vibrant and supportive environment that makes everyone feel a strong sense of belonging defines MDRI’s distinctive culture. MDRI is the destination for bright and highly motivated individuals who take pride in their work and go extra miles to support their team with the aim to deliver best services. MDRI offers a learning environment and creates opportunities for each team member to make his or her own mark along the development journey of the Institute. We want to bring on board individuals who are thrilled to embark on an invigorating journey of imparting knowledge and making a difference.
Line manager: Project Manager, Institute Director
- To lead assigned research activities and projects:
- To develop proposals for assigned research and consultancy projects;
- To process and analyze quantitative data and/or undertake qualitative analysis;
- To prepare and/or oversee junior researchers and assistants in preparing project reports, research, policy briefs;
- To prepare reports and present information to research groups, clients, etc.;
- To take part in negotiation with partners/clients (if needed);
- To manage research project budgets, governance issues and other resources;
- To develop own or group work, interpret research findings, generate high quality publications and disseminate results through appropriate media;
- To contribute to the development of research strategies within the Institute;
- To line manage and support colleagues working in the institute as appropriate, contributing to their development through the appraisal scheme, mentorship and coaching;
- To undertake continuous personal and professional development which contributes to knowledge and skills within the subject area;
- Other duties as maybe assigned by Institute Director.
- A PhD degree in Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences or a related field;
- Have at least 3 years of experience doing social/economic researches
- Substantial research background and experience evidenced by a track record of publications of different nature and by roles in international research processes
- Expert knowledge and skills in quantitative and/or qualitative research methodology
- Proven problem solving and management/leadership skills
- Excellent communication and writing skills in Vietnamese and English
- Good knowledge of office software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, etc.)
- Fluency in using statistics, data and programming software packages (e.g. STATA, R);
- Strong capability to perform both independently and in team; experience of leading a research team environment
- Strong desire to pursue the career in economic research and ability to inspire young researchers.
The application package should be in English and include:
- One-page cover letter that includes a brief statement of the applicant’s suitability
- Curriculum vitae, including names of two referees who may be approached to give their opinion on the candidate’s suitability for the position
- A copy of Academic transcripts and Degree
- A copy of publications
- Other relevant documents (ex: a copy of IELTS Test Report Form, a certificate)
Applications should be sent to MDRI at firstname.lastname@example.org. State “[your full name] – Application for Senior Researcher” in the subject heading of the email.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Successful candidates are expected to start working as soon as possible.