The rise of extreme weather events in the Mekong Delta region poses an urgent threat to the livelihoods of millions, particularly those whose primary source of income is rice production. Addressing this problem, MDRI is working with the German Leibniz Institute for Economic Research (RWI) for a study on agriculture insurance in the region in 2023-2024. The project seeks to assess farmers’ understanding and perception of agriculture insurance and evaluate interventions to encourage the adoption of risk management tools in rice production. MDRI coordinates three rounds of data collection with 3,000 rice farmers and representatives of 200 enumerated areas in four regional provinces.
- Provide logistical arrangements, compile a list of households to participate in the surveys, obtain permission to conduct surveys in the provinces, and obtain IRB approval.
- Support the development of survey tools and supporting documents (survey instructions manual). Conduct pilot surveys.
- Train, coordinate, and manage Enumerator and Supervisor teams to collect data for 03 survey rounds with 3,000 rice-farming households and 200 villages’ representatives.
- Conduct quality control and clean raw data.
- Produce a survey report and documentation for each survey round.
- Support other research-related activities.
Photo source: CCAFS/CGIAR